What is your profession/career/job?

Talk about anything here not covered in other forums.
adamDMK

Just curious as to what everyone does for a living. Even if you are unemployed or still in school, what are you striving to do?

As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up and how does that compare to what you're career is now?
Dave Rosteck

Landscape/Maintenance since graduating HS 11 years ago. Not particularly happy I'm still doing this but I'd be lying if I said it's not something I enjoy doing. Ever since I was a young lad, I always wanted to a be professional landscaper so I guess you could say what I'm doing now is almost exactly what I wanted to do growing up. As everyone knows, this profession is very physically demanding and repetitive.. That said, I always have my eye on other job opportunities and looking to make a career change in the very near future.
Dave Rosteck
Founder & Webmaster
dave@davesmk.net
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

After high school I was working part time and going to school to become a laboratory technician. I've been working at a hospital for a couple of years now. My wife is a RN and once she gets settled in I will be going back to school to further my education. Phlebotomy isn't physically demanded as landscaping but if you do it for too long it will leave you with a bad back. I might become a technologist but we'll see, whatever it is it will be in the medical field. I almost became a LVN but changed my mind. I'm more of a behind the scenes type of guy.

As a kid I never thought I would be in the medical field. After high school the economy was getting really bad but people are always going to get sick. I can't tell you what you I wanted to be when I was younger because quite frankly I don't remember. I was thinking about joining the Army after a recruiter stopped by in high school during a career fair. Thinking back on it, if I decided to join the military it would been through Navy.
Holy Grail

Well if you'd asked me when I was still at school, I would have said I'd be a journalist, writing the sports pages for the number one rag in town. Then I looked at the scores required to study journalism.... :S

These days I'm an IT guy at a primary school. That sounds like a demotion but infact, it was almost destined to be...

As a kid I was always on the computer and knew more by the time I was 8 than any teacher at school - highlighted by the fact I was routinely pulled out of class to help the staff who had just acquired their first Apple Mac II (as it was back then).

Ironically, many years later, this same school is where I now work - only this time the principal is paying me! It's come a long way technologically, with our annual budget for IT being just shy of a quarter of a mil. So suffice to say, I'm it keeps me one busy boy. :)
Common sense - so rare, it's a god-damn super power.
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net
adamDMK

I had always dreamed of being a filmmaker as a kid. After seeing Star Wars, I was enchanted by this magical world I was being transported to. It inspired my imagination and led me to try to make a career as a storyteller. I started writing my first screenplay when I was 12-years-old and around the same time my mother bought me a video camera for Christmas to start filming everything and anything. I wanted to tell stories on screen and transport people to a magical world much like I had been when I was younger.

But then sometime around high school I was first introduced to the internet. I was fascinated and amazed how you could seemingly pull any information in the world in a matter of seconds. After creating a couple very rudimentary webpages, I had found another medium where I could let my imagination run wild and where people from all walks of life could see my work.

Towards the end of high school, I had to make a decision if I wanted to pursue film or a career in the internet industry - which was still in its infancy. After speaking with a few recruiters with a media arts school and realizing the success rates are pretty low for filmmakers, I cowered and went the safe route of going to school for business administration and visual communications.

After college, I started working in the internet industry on the more web marketing/site management end as well as doing some freelance development. I eventually ended up in the E-Commerce area of web development. After a few long years of bouncing around from position to position and job to job, I ended up at the firm I've been with the past 6 1/2 years and counting. In 2010 I transitioned from a solutions developer role to become an E-Commerce front end developer. Basically I take the file(s) that a graphic designer creates and break the design up into components, and start to build these into a website using HTML, CSS, Javascript and programming code.

Long story short, I code E-Commerce websites for a living. Sometimes I still daydream about how my life would have ended up if I'd pursued film making. But - I wake up everyday and enjoy what I do for a living, and that's sometimes all you can ask for in life.
BorixXx
Master Kombatant

Working part time at a Telecom giant to make ends meet while grinding patiently to get a career in music going.

Currently throwing my own party events as well, also being in charge of the dances during the big anime convention here in Vancouver titled Anime Revolution with thousands and thousands of attendees.

Still hot on the trail of grabbing life the by balls. Can check out some of my work here:

http://youtu.be/zD8iuTn43AM

http://youtu.be/eQyTUcg6uRs