Blu-ray vs streaming HD

Serious discussions is a non goofing off zone requiring only those who can post and handle others' opinions in a civilized fashion. Party poopers will be disposed of in a blink of an eye!
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

In my opinion Blu-ray is still the best way to view movies/shows at home. The quality is unsurpassed. Call me an old geezer but I hate the idea of getting rid of the physical format. I just don't understand the concept of going completely digital. It just feels like you're sacrificing quality for convenience.
Dave Rosteck

I have to admit, money is the main reason I rarely watch anything on Bluray these days. Secondly as you mentioned, convenience is another. I mean, why buy the physical disc when you can torrent for free or watch for much cheaper on Netflix? Don't get me wrong, I'm very picky when it comes to video quality for the wrestling videos I upload but when it comes to shows and movies at home for my own viewing pleasure, it doesn't matter as much to me.
Dave Rosteck
Founder & Webmaster
dave@davesmk.net
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

Blu-ray has gotten cheaper in the last couple of years compared to what it was which was indeed pricey. I''ll only buy discs for movies I like and nowadays they do come with Ultraviolet copies that are stored in a cloud and can be viewed anywhere with an internet connection or even downloaded.

My biggest complaint about digital is that it requires an internet connection. I recently upgraded to cable internet again. My old provider provides really slow speeds and have a monopoly around the outer area of where I live. On top of that digital prices don't seem to go down fast or at all sometimes. You could extend this topic games as well. When you download something you don't really own it.

When you download from a torrent and want to keep the stuff wouldn't have to pay for hard drives? I don't hate digital but my biggest concern is how companies will find ways to abuse consumers once physical formats are gone.
adamDMK

Hmm, I'm torn between both formats.

Recently, I've gotten more away from physical formats (Blu-ray, DVD, etc.) and more into streaming my media. Over the last couple of years I've basically just streamed (or torrented) new movies on Amazon. I often don't mind dishing out the $3.99 to watch a new release movie that I really want to see. If it's a movie I can hold off on watching, I usually just wait for it to appear on Netflix, Prime Instant Video, or HBO. Or just grab it from a friend who's already ripped the Blu-ray or torrented it. In fact, I've been slowly building a media library (highly recommend Plex.tv for this) and have quite a few movies and TV shows stored on a couple external hard drives.

Like Dave said, there's just the convenience of it all and for my lifestyle it works out.

However, I will still buy Blu-rays for the movies I love. To me there's nothing like having the physical copy of something around. I can always rip it if I want it in my media library - but still like to have the hard copy to fall back on just in case. Also, a lot of the mega super stores around me have $5-$7 Bu-ray bins where I usually go crazy and get like 6 or 7 new Blu-rays at a time.