Free Will vs. Determinism

Serious discussions is a non goofing off zone requiring only those who can post and handle others' opinions in a civilized fashion. Party poopers will be disposed of in a blink of an eye!
waufreak89
Expert Warrior

Many a philosopher has pondered over the notion of free will. Are we as human beings truly free to do as we wish, or are their outstanding factors that influence and/or determine our decisions?

I feel that while humans do indeed have the capacity to choose, it is a ludicrous notion to think that no forces influence those decisions. The two biggest factors that affect the decision making are heredity and environment.

From the moment we are born we begin being influenced by those around us. Friends, family, and even total strangers contribute to our personal world view. On top of this our very environment also effects our decision making process. For example, stressful environments can cause people to make hasty decisions, while a relaxed environment can cause people to make better well thought-out decisions.

Thus ultimately while we do process the freedom to choice, our decisions are undeniably effected by external factors.

What are your thoughts on Free Will vs. Determinism?
Spleeneater
True Kombatant

This is a hard subject to cover. Its unknown if time is a linear pattern or something more, in simplest terms. If it's linear, we have a sort of free will, in that we will end up in one, destined setting based on our decisions, but we have the freedom to chose what will happen. Kind of both.

It's a very multilayered question. Fascinating though.
If I see you video taping this movie, Satan will rain down your throat with hot acid and dissolve your testicles and turn your guts into snakes!
~Mastadon, "Cut your up with a Linoleum Knife"
Omni-[N|E|O]-Scorpion
Skilled Kombatant

This is a vast topic, and a very interesting one I must say.

Our decisions are unevitably determined by the environment that sorrounds us. We want It or not, in a psychological pressure of the highest, the decisions come more quick, and more inaccurate, than If we would be in a total harmony and relax.

Then, comes the question 'What If I could turn time back?'. As I mentioned above, this topic is a poly-viewpoint one, therefore going off-topic is something common. ;)
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
Spleeneater
True Kombatant

What? I'm not one for complicated language. Makes people sound stupid.
If I see you video taping this movie, Satan will rain down your throat with hot acid and dissolve your testicles and turn your guts into snakes!
~Mastadon, "Cut your up with a Linoleum Knife"
C'est la vie!
Skilled Kombatant

May be a weak comment, but i've prooven to myself once and again that if i really want something and decide to get it, setting myself to overcome any obstacle, i end up getting what i want in the end.
I believe free will overcomes determinism, because you decide what to do with your life and if you'll fight or rather adapt and let yourself be moved around by the situations.
[CENTER]Image
The vampire's power lies in the disbelief of its existance.[/CENTER]
Kira-Khameleon
Intermediate Warrior

Spleeneater wrote:This is a hard subject to cover. Its unknown if time is a linear pattern or something more, in simplest terms. If it's linear, we have a sort of free will, in that we will end up in one, destined setting based on our decisions, but we have the freedom to chose what will happen. Kind of both.

It's a very multilayered question. Fascinating though.

I've toyed with the theory that time is linear and we actually have no free will but rather an illusion (think of a video game. They give you two doors, but one is locked and you're forced to go in the other one to get the key. It's the fake sense of choice) though I've been flamed and yelled at (even by my parents, "That's so stupid. You're so stupid.") for even toying with this, but I feel it's a very interesting topic.