People's perception on racism.

Serious discussions is a non goofing off zone requiring only those who can post and handle others' opinions in a civilized fashion. Party poopers will be disposed of in a blink of an eye!
Klerik of Kaos
Expert Warrior

So, I had a conversation last night with my sister about certain people's perception on racism. It came to me yesterday while I was taking a shower (awkward I know). Twin (Camilla) sent me a link to a blog of a response to an African American complaining in their magazine article about Resident Evil 5 being set in Africa.

The African American writer said that having black zombies is considered racist. They claimed that having black zombies was racist, and it was racist to have it set in Africa. Then someone asked the journalist the question of, would they have a problem if the zombies were white. And the journalist said that it would not be racist and they would have no problem. I agree with the blogger when they said that zombies have been overdone since the beginning of time and it's about time for a setting change.

My problem with this is, the meaning of racism has shifted from pertaining to all races to mainly focusing on African Americans. I understand that slavery happened here in America, but it's over now. Yes that was racist, but like I said, it's over now. It annoys me how if any little thing happens to an African American, they shout "RACISM!" and that's not what the word racism should be used for.

If a White/Caucasian cop were to hit an African American, it's automatically considered a hate crime or racism. But if it were the other way around, an African American cop hitting a White/Caucasian, it's perfectly fine. The meaning of racism has been shifted and turned into being mainly used for one ethnicity and that's not what the protection against racism was started for. It wasn't created for someone to shout, even if they were harmed wrongfully. If it was an accident, they still shout racism. Instead of the word's usage being for everyone, it's mostly over-used on African Americans, which has thus changed the focus of racism being for everyone to mostly being on African Americans and I don't think that's right.

I know that racism still exists in this country and many countries around the world, but the word wasn't meant to be abused for ANY little thing that happens, and that is exactly what it's being used for. "Racism" has become an abused word that no longer has a true purpose in my eyes.

What do you think? Do you agree or disagree that people's perception on racism has changed from being meant for everyone to mainly focusing on African Americans?

NOTE: I am not saying that racism only applies to African Americans. What I am saying is that racism mostly pertains to African Americans, since everything that seems to be against them is considered racist and a hate crime.

HELLO FROM THE CONDOM FAIRY!
Orange Shirted Ninja
Advanced Warrior

Exactly... it's like when a white person jokes or complains about that of another race, it's a big problem. But if a Black person has a wisecrack to say about a white person or person of another race, it's no big deal. :???
My damn sig broke.

Jade owns you all.

[color="SeaGreen"]If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?[/color]
airborneranger
True Kombatant

I agree with all of you.
This reminds me of the N word in a way.It's okay for black people to say it but not others?Don't get me wrong,it's a bad word and shouldn't be said,but why would people consider it "their" word?I don't get it.
Reppy-H2
Skilled Kombatant

When black people constantly throw the race card in situations where it's completely ridiculous it makes me sick.

If black people want to be treated equally, why do they always claim it's a racial issue with things that have nothing to do with their race?

You're not being treated badly because of your skin color, you're going to jail because you were speeding and have a pound of weed in your car. (Whatever race you are, you're going to jail)

Also the whole "slavery" issue makes me even more sick. They were not slaves, and even their parents were not slaves. Why do some black people act as though they went through the slavery themselves? And like we were the masters whipping them...

They want to be equal, but with special treatment... And people on here think I am a hypocrite! :lol:

PS - Im not saying this applies to all black people, but there are certainly a lot of black people that think this way.
only stryker fan wrote:OH MY GOD you are an evil fucking mastermind
BarakaBrat
Master Kombatant

KOK, you KNOW this thread is gonna start some drama, lol. Here's the thing. African tribes sold each OTHER into slavery. They sold slaves to the U.S. from Africa. I'm not saying it was the right thing to purchase them, but why don't they ever blame other African Americans whose ancestors may have sold other African Americans into slavery.

I mean, I have black friends, Asian friends, etc. In fact my best friend is part Mexican even though she denies that side of her. She doesn't hate Mexicans, it's just that she doesn't want to be associated with them. Meh, whatever. The point is I'm not racist, but it does get me incredibly angry when every time something bad happens to a black person it's because America's racist. You know if Obama doesn't win for president, that people will cry out with the race card.

Thanks to JaL for the awesome sig.
Omni-[N|E|O]-Scorpion
Skilled Kombatant

Except the first racist worry, the racism itself is, there's also the racism in games and movies.

It was that case of Resident Evil 5, that the enemies were black. I didn't hear any complaints when the enemies were white, or when they were Spanish.

Anyways, racism is a very delicate issue to argue, and when It is encountered in games and movies, It gets pathetic.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
Orange Shirted Ninja
Advanced Warrior

"I guarantee you.. there's gonna be a white bitch in the White House before a black man."

-Brenda Luca
My damn sig broke.

Jade owns you all.

[color="SeaGreen"]If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?[/color]
airborneranger
True Kombatant

Orange Shirted Ninja wrote:"I guarantee you.. there's gonna be a white bitch in the White House before a black man."

-Brenda Luca

:laugh: That's hilarious.
I was thinking of posting that article about RE5,which I found complete bullshit.At least take a look at previous games and see most zombies are white people before you go on a rant and cry racist.
Critical
Intermediate Warrior

Africans are not savages; zombies are.

All the previous games had white zombies and we didn/t see people complaining.
Omni-[N|E|O]-Scorpion
Skilled Kombatant

African Americans should start thinking they're not the only race in the world, which racism is focused on. More than true complains and worries, It is starting to get very pathetic.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
Klerik of Kaos
Expert Warrior

One thing that annoys me as well is, some African Americans receive money from the government due to "emotional distress from slavery". When I heard of this, it really pissed me off due to the fact that slavery was over 200 years ago and they're acting as though they were slaves.

When I heard that, the first thing that went through my mind was "Where are your scars?" and someone said "It's in my blood." Your blood CANNOT have scars on it so they need to stop this crap about "emotional distress due to slavery" considering the fact they didn't have to experience it. People find any excuse to get money from something or another. Unless Harriet Tubman herself or any other slave came up from the grave, no one should be receiving money for "emotional distress due to slavery". That's just my opinion anyways.

BarakaBrat
Master Kombatant

Klerik of Kaos wrote:One thing that annoys me as well is, some African Americans receive money from the government due to "emotional distress from slavery". When I heard of this, it really pissed me off due to the fact that slavery was over 200 years ago and they're acting as though they were slaves.

When I heard that, the first thing that went through my mind was "Where are your scars?" and someone said "It's in my blood." Your blood CANNOT have scars on it so they need to stop this crap about "emotional distress due to slavery" considering the fact they didn't have to experience it. People find any excuse to get money from something or another. Unless Harriet Tubman herself or any other slave came up from the grave, no one should be receiving money for "emotional distress due to slavery". That's just my opinion anyways.

Here's the truth about that. They're lazy and don't want to work. I'm not saying ALL black people, just the ones who want money just for being black. Whose to even say that every black American's ancestory leads back to slavery? Maybe some of them came after it was abolished, or maybe some lived in the north where slavery didn't exist.

Thanks to JaL for the awesome sig.
Klerik of Kaos
Expert Warrior

And yet the majority of them try to tie themselves back to slavery and saying they're "Suffering". Bull. Shut up and move on. You're not a slave. Your ancestors might have been, NOT YOU. That just really urks the hell out of me. Just like, I believe it was KKW, who said "It's because I'm <insert race here>." That is the worst excuse since "My dog ate my homework." ------>

Jason-Voorhees
Expert Warrior

there is nothing wrong with setting RE5 in africa, and i think there should be no problem with that, raceism died in the 60s and should stay that way (at least in North America)