Weekly quote debate.

Serious discussions is a non goofing off zone requiring only those who can post and handle others' opinions in a civilized fashion. Party poopers will be disposed of in a blink of an eye!
C'est la vie!
Skilled Kombatant

So, it seems there isnt much to debate or talk about when we dont get a new game, awesome movie, political campaing or crazy ass kiddie murder going on, so from now on i have decided to start this up.

Every monday late night (its late night monday to me at least) i'll try to be posting a quote i found would serve to analize, so we have something to give our point of view about it.

Hope this works and on to start the "game":

"Occidental science has done much more for humanity in the last two hundred years than that what christianity has done for us in two thousand years"
-My science teacher.

Well, its true, two hundred years ago we didnt have global warming, thanks mr. science :no
To tell the truth i hate the kind of people who take sides, the world will never live in peace untill:
1.- Scientist make it out with the church as much as black with whites, latins with asians, republicans with democrats...etc.
2.- Everyone dies...but me :)

Lets hope this works.
[CENTER]Image
The vampire's power lies in the disbelief of its existance.[/CENTER]
Spleeneater
True Kombatant

Since when do Latins and Asians hate eachother?

The quote is true, in one way, from a progressive or scientific point of view, but the argument is completely turned around if you look at it another way. Science, at least I think so, hasn't done much for morals; has it? It's gotten us to think of new ways to kill and torture eachother, which is then used by the Church.
If I see you video taping this movie, Satan will rain down your throat with hot acid and dissolve your testicles and turn your guts into snakes!
~Mastadon, "Cut your up with a Linoleum Knife"
C'est la vie!
Skilled Kombatant

Spleeneater wrote:Since when do Latins and Asians hate eachother?

The quote is true, in one way, from a progressive or scientific point of view, but the argument is completely turned around if you look at it another way. Science, at least I think so, hasn't done much for morals; has it? It's gotten us to think of new ways to kill and torture eachother, which is then used by the Church.

Mexicans and Chinese have a beef around here (Mexico city), however that was a rough generalization, Mexicans love anime and Japanese love tequila, so not all latins hate all asians :p

Back on topic, thats my point; you cant take side because both have had its goods and bads, science gave us comunication, health, education and traveling options that would've never be dreamt of 2 hundred years ago, however it has made people greedy, before those that controled the land controled the people, now those that control technology control the people, and Sony/Microsoft or any high tech company has as much morals as Mr. Burns.
In the other hand we have religion, its true that religion hasnt been too happy with the scientific progress, specially christianity and some other less-than-right organizations, but with the way the world is right now, religion is one of the few things that keep us away from beasts (wich is ironically something that science has helped by giving us more and easier ways to fuck other people's lives) or will you actually tell me that teaching a kid he'll go to heaven if he's good doesnt work better (when done properly) that just telling him to do so because you say so? and what would the familiars of people with terminal deseases of victims of accidents do in the waiting room? "oh no sir, we cant do anything, go sit and read a mag" doesnt sound too helpful.

What we need to do is to stop being stupid, stop thinking in black and white and start realizing humanity is not science or religion, it must be enough of both as to help you live with the comfort and ease science provides and with the morals (the good ones at least) and civic education religion tryes to teach us.
Because, in the end, science is about comfort and religion is about harmony, if the leaders of both fronts want to fight to death, to hell with them, we dont have to follow sides if we dont want to and if some lamb tells us we cant live in harmony with science and religion, that shouldnt change our point of view.
[CENTER]Image
dream4eternity77
Advanced Warrior

To me it seems like religion effects people more inwardly, where-as science is more external. I'm definitly not saying that is 100% true, because religion does have outward effects, and science has inward ones too. Religion seems to be more of a source of values and beliefs, which has an effect on an area's culture by how they act and handle situations. Science seems to provide nice things like wash machines, medical equipment, etc.

And again, this is a generalization, there are exceptions. (I keep saying it because of silly internet misinterpretations.)
\Image
C'est la vie!
Skilled Kombatant

Judging for the incredible succes of this thread i decided to do it every two weeks intead of one (so, new quote this next monday), i guess i'll say its the theme, it was pretty unquestionable that neither science nor religion can have the absolute leading of society, let's hope the next discussion prooves more controversial.
(sets off looking for quotes).
[CENTER]Image
C'est la vie!
Skilled Kombatant

KKW2 wrote:I have a good quote for you, if you choose to accept it.

"The freedom tree only grows when you pour blood on it"

A very good quote, and a very true one while at that.
This will be this week's discussion :)

It has been prooved that only those that fight for their rights are allowed to have them, those that sit down and wait will only be served what their leaders would want to give them.
A voice not loud enough will not be heard.

However, this has a big cost, in blood and tears, and it doesnt always mean you'll be given what you fight for, as if you loose you will forever be reminded as a traitor or a rebel, remember history is written by the winners.
[CENTER]Image
dream4eternity77
Advanced Warrior

Very true. Before I read C'est la vie!'s interpretation of it, I merely thought it was a quote saying that freedom can only be brought about by violence. I think that the majority of America now realizes that that isn't true. Like with our whole war thing, bringing "freedom" through violence and the shedding of innocent blood is not the best way to go about bringing freedom. Peaceful negotiations are the best way to achieve anything.

So based on C'est la vie!'s interpretation, I would say it is true. Based on my first interpretation, I would say that it is false.
\Image
airborneranger
True Kombatant

That's a good quote.I'd say it was true in many situations.You must fight for your freedom.
Omni-[N|E|O]-Scorpion
Skilled Kombatant

Nations all over the world have fought for their freedom.I think he has stated something universally true.There's no freedom without bloodshed........
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
Lord Paragon
Skilled Kombatant

It is true... freedom does come with a price, and it is usually blood. Look at every single war that has happened, one side will always say "They are fighting for freedom", or their interpratation of freedom. Ill name just a few wars and give the sides point of views.

World Wars 1 and 2. Germany taking over Europe, the countries already taking over fought to be free, their allies fought for their freedom. The war of Independance. America wanted to be free from Englands control. The was in Iraq now, the Iraqi insurgents fight for their freedom. Even civil wars, one side feels oppressed by the other and wants to be 'free'. Look at the french and american civil wars. Even ainchent wars, The Crusades and the Roman Empire. The sides opposing these fought to be free, they failed, but they fought none the less. Oh, people can argue all they want about thier sides point of views, but, in the end, that was or is what they are fighting for.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Teal"]Dont make me say it.... :threaten:
FALCON ... PAAAUUUNCH![/color]
Mortal Kombat: Resurrection
[email="lordparagon@mortalkombatnexus.com"]lordparagon@mortalkombatnexus.com[/email][/CENTER]