MMA Discussion

All sport and indoor/outdoor activity related topics are discussed in this forum.
thunderbolt3022
Skilled Kombatant

by popular demand I thought Id get this up and going! Is anyone a fan of MMA? follow it for all the shows or did you see the cbs show? and do you think it should be on normal tv?
TruNoob
Novice Fighter

I'm starting to get into it, though I thought CBS did a terrible job with it. The show went 45 minutes over its allotted time, so if they bring it back, they need to clean it up. I like the competition in both the men's and women's matches. Gina Carano kicks some serious booty and is totally hot for someone who could potentially get her face bashed in. ;)
thunderbolt3022
Skilled Kombatant

Looks like the sport took a blow..

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-elitexc102008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Elite XC down for the count
By Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports
Oct 21, 2:11 am EDT

More MMA Videos More From Dave MeltzerKoscheck unafraid of uphill climb Oct 20, 2008 Vera set for crucial test against Jardine Oct 17, 2008
Elite XC, which produced seven of the 10 most-watched MMA matches in U.S. history on two CBS specials in recent months, will be closing its doors at the end of the week. This leaves a roster of fighters, including top draws Kimbo Slice and Gina Carano, looking for work in a constricted environment.

Elite XC joins the International Fight League and Bodog Fight as high-profile competitors to the industry leader, the Ultimate Fighting Championship, to fold during the past year.

With deals with CBS and Showtime, the latter a major shareholder, Elite XC had the exposure the other failed challengers lacked, but lost more than $55 million in its two years of operation. Its losses included having a bad television deal in the first year with Showtime, causing them to lose money on every show; losing millions on trying, and failing, to build a website that was designed to be a destination for the MMA community; and purchasing four promotions outright and putting money into a fifth.

One of them, the U.K.-based Cage Rage promotion, set them back $18 million in losses.
pimpchimp
Ultimate Warrior

Now that MMA has really blown up, I thought it would be appropriate to bring this thread back to life. I had made a UFC one in 2007, but this works better because it covers MMA as a whole, not just the big dog in the business. Anyone here have an interest in MMA?

UFC 119 in eight days. Cro Cop vs. Mir, Little Nog vs. Bader, Serra vs Lytle, and much more.

Fight Card here: http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC119#/fight

Any Predictions?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pimpchimp
Regular user of no importance
pimpchimp@fakeemail.net
adamDMK

I'm probably one of the biggest MMA fans you'll find. Hopefully, this thread takes off a little more now since, as you said pimpchimp, the sport of MMA has grown leaps and bounds over the past few years.

But my predictions for UFC 119:

Mir should beat Cro Cop, but I'm praying that Cro Crop is able to catch him standing up and finish him there. But I think this fight is more of a Mir "showcase" fight so on paper he should win this fight and get back in the title hunt. Plus it doesn't help that there's a rumor that Cro Cop will be coming in injured so his chances don't bode too well.

It looks like Little Nog struggles against tough wrestlers (see his last fight with Brilz) so he may not molly whop Bader as a lot of people are thinking. Bader is a tough opponent for anyone but I can honestly see this outcome similar as Little Nog's last fight against Brilz, Nog winning a close decision.

Serra should get past Lytle... in my opinion whatever Lytle can do... Serra can do better.

Evan Dunham is a tough fighter, but as is Sean Sherk. I think Sherk will finally fight a little smarter in this fight and utilize his wrestling to take Dunham down and control him for the win.

Both Guillard and Lil' Heathen have been impressive lately so this will likely be your fight of the night as many expect. If Guillard doesn't gas out or quit mid-fight, I think he has more tools in his arsenal to beat Stephens.

Doerksen has a lot of experience and if he can somehow negate Dollaway's wrestling, then the fight should be his.

I'm actually looking forward to Mitrione and Beltran as it should be a fun fight. I think Mitrione may have a little more toughness than Beltran so I'm expecting him to take it.
pimpchimp
Ultimate Warrior

What you said about Cro Cop is right. If Only Cro Cop was in his prime like back in 2006, he would have no problem keeping it standing with his great sprawl. But he is getting up there in age, and I'm not sure if he will be able to stop the take downs of Mir, who has put on considerable bulk. I'm still rooting for Mirko though.

I think that Bader is an up and comer, and has great wrestling ability. I know he can take down Nog, but does he want to? Little Nog has great submissions. I think the fights outcome depends on Bader's willingness to take a shot and put Nog on his back. It will be a good fight though.

About Serra, I don't know. He looked really good in that fight with Hughes, and I think that fight could have gone either way. Lytle is a brawler, so If Serra sticks and moves, he has a good chance. Its too risky to stand and bang with Lytle.

If Shaun Sherk of old comes out, he has a good shot at beating Dunham. Dunham has been blazing up the ranks though, and is a very game opponent. I have no idea on the victor of this one.

I have not seen or do not recall any footage of Stephens and Doerkson, so i cant call those two fights, but but Guillard and Dollaway are solid fighters and these two fight should be very good, especially the Guillard vs. Stephens fight.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pimpchimp
pimpchimp@fakeemail.net
adamDMK

So UFC 119 has come and gone. What are your thoughts? The prelims were all fun fights, but the judging on the main card fights left a sour taste in my mouth. Not the best overall card around.

Mir vs. Cro Cop felt like a glorified sparring match (I believe even Joe Rogan pointed that out) until Mir caught Cro Cop with a sloppy knee. I really don't think Mir meant to KO Cro Cop... but Cro Cop's "old man chin" showed up and ended the fight for him. Not sure if Cro Cop's injury led to some problems but neither man showed up for this fight. I don't think Cro Cop is completely done as everyone is saying, but he won't be beating top-level competition anytime soon either. If the Cro Cop who beat Pat Barry shows up, then he'll be a tough fight for any mid to low level fighter. Not sure what's next for Mir though... I suppose the rematch with Big Nog makes sense right now.
pimpchimp
Ultimate Warrior

All in all, the fight card left me a bit disappointed.

I agree completely on your thought for the main event, Big Nog need his chance to avenge that loss. And looking back at both Mir and Nog's last fights respectively, I think Mir is in trouble.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pimpchimp
pimpchimp@fakeemail.net