TMNT Trailer coming...

General discussion in the movie/TV industry goes on here.
Holy Grail

...alongside Captain America Winter Solider.

I'm a bit meh about Cap 2 but if the trailer debuts with it, count me in for a midnight screening!!! :dancing:
Common sense - so rare, it's a god-damn super power.
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net
adamDMK

Holy Grail wrote:...alongside Captain America Winter Solider.

I'm a bit meh about Cap 2 but if the trailer debuts with it, count me in for a midnight screening!!! :dancing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZZ0PnDZdZk

Thoughts Grail?
Holy Grail

Been watching and re-watching this.

I love the new look, I really do. And in fairness to the Bay-Haters, I was SUPER critical of the early previews of Transformers. But in the end, I still went to see it, and walked out the cinema loving it. And look, for the most part, he got it right. It's a story of two big warring robot factions. Good vs Evil. Optimus vs Megatron. And if you think the stories he told were a little wack, then try watching some of the old cartoons again - the Bay-verse is a lot LESS silly.

But as far as Turtles go, based on this trailer, I can't help but think he's missed the mark when it come to the real core of the characters. Shredder, the big bad guy, is...."creating heroes"... Did I miss something? Sure, have him working with Aprils Dad, have him as a white guy - whatever. But to claim that he "wants to help the city" and KNOWINGLY created 'heroes' just flies directly in the face of the character. It's the equivalent of the big bad wolf training the huntsman how to use an axe. Why? Furthermore, outside of Shredder vs TMNT, the other core dynamic is Shredder vs Splinter and their shared past. So, if Shredder is just a 'mad scientist', where does that leave Splinter?

As for the trailer itself, if you shut your eyes, you could be forgiven for thinking it was Transformers trailer - the big ominous sounds and everything. I'm also curious about what it DIDN'T show - Splinter in particular. Donnie is the one who go short-changed out of this trailer. But I do love how they all look different (physically as well) as opposed to just having different coloured masks. I think the mo-cap effect works well.

It's tough to tell but it looks like the Foot are now a military group rather than a ninja clan which would be super boring. There are countless movies I could watch if I wanted to see goons with guns get taken out by the good-guys but a ninja-on-ninja fight, that's a bit more special.

I'm trying to be positive but all the early stuff about 'aliens' and such has me cautious. Transformers isn't hard to get right - good vs bad, robot-style. But Turtles is a much more complex story - involving the classic troupes of revenge, betrayal and family - and I can't help but feel this in particular has been 'glossed over' in place of action set pieces...
Common sense - so rare, it's a god-damn super power.
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net