RoboCop (2014)

General discussion in the movie/TV industry goes on here.
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

The original RoboCop (1987) is one of my favorite films of all time with the excessive/over the top violence, engaging story/characters, dark humor, and satire. I have mixed feelings about this remake that will be released next year. I know it will be a very different film from the original but judging the trailer it does pay homage to the original film. This remake will also move the franchise forward after the two lousy sequels. I consider RoboCop 2 worse than 3 because that was a bigger disappointment even if the third one was family friendly. Basically the second film keeps the violence from the first but nothing else and the third while also bad is at least a guilty pleasure.

The first film had an excellent cast and it looks like the remake has some stars lined up. Gary Oldman was brilliant in The Dark Knight trilogy but I also liked his performance a lot in Leon/The Professional. Micheal Keaton. His greatest performance was almost twenty five years ago but he's still Batman dammit. Samuel L Jackson is Samuel L Jackson. Jackie Earl Haley was awesome as Rorschach from Watchmen.

[CENTER][video=youtube;INmtQXUXez8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8[/video] [/CENTER]
Dave Rosteck

This looks pretty interesting to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the original first film although I never saw the sequels so I'm not the most familiar with the series. Being yet another remake of a classic, I'm sure there will be a lot of butt hurt fans whether it's good or not, haha.
Dave Rosteck
Founder & Webmaster
dave@davesmk.net
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

Yeah. Even before the trailer was released the movie was getting a lot of hate from the fans. I'm excited for it. I think this project was supposed to be finished in 2010 but MGM went bankrupt or something. This remake has to incorporate this clip somehow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HOt0ZOcYk
KKW3
Practicing Fighter

I wasn't a fan of this remake. The main actor was pretty much cardboard, especially when he was still human. I wanted this movie to be good because it was José Padilha's Hollywood debut, but apparently he had a miserable time making this movie because the studio did not allow his input or vision on anything. He wanted this film to be bloody and raw, but the studio ruled against him. He would suggest new ideas but got rejected every single time. His final product isn't really his, but the studio's. A real José Padilha Robocop would have been much better. I recommend checking out his Brazilian films Elite Squad and Elite Squad 2. This man is one hell of a director, and it sucks that Hollywood is not impressed with him at the moment because of Robocop (wasn't his fault either).
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

I haven't seen it yet but I wasn't expecting any spectacular like the original. The movie did make some profits at the box office so we might see a sequel. My expectations for the film are that it should at least be better and second and third film of the original trilogy.

At the very least the film allowed the original film to get a new Blu-ray version with remastered picture and tons of special features including a new Q & A session with cast and crew. The 2007 release was disappointing because the picture was all over the place even if did look better than on previous formats.