Star Wars - Episode VII

General discussion in the movie/TV industry goes on here.
adamDMK

Actually kind of surprised there's not an Episode VII thread on here yet.

Thoughts?

Can Disney give the fans what they want here? Is JJ Abrams the best choice to direct?
Holy Grail

As I said to a Star Wars-mad friend of mine "Hey - the movies can't get any worse!"

But there's a lot going in their favor. Love them or hate them, Disney have the captial to get the best talent out of their franchises. They've been hitting it out of the park lately and with such a famous brand under their wing, they'll pull out all stops to make it a success.

They also have the advantage of doing true sequels, instead of being restricted by a prequel story that we all knew how it would end.

Abrams seems to be the 'it' guy when it comes to sci-fi right now. The only one better would have been Joss Whedon but Marvel have his brain working on the Marvel Universe.

Also, Lucas's role and influence will be diminished - sure he'll still be around but no longer will we see super-enhanced 4th-edit versions of the same film cause "Lucas wanted too". I predict the bulk of the decisions will rest with more than one individuals (warped) perception.

On a sad note, I'm a Trekkie at heart so it's sad to see Abrams leave the franchise, particularly for the 'old enemy'. That said, Trek is now in great shape so it'll be great to see the competition heat up again. :)
Common sense - so rare, it's a god-damn super power.
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net
adamDMK

Holy Grail wrote:Also, Lucas's role and influence will be diminished - sure he'll still be around but no longer will we see super-enhanced 4th-edit versions of the same film cause "Lucas wanted too". I predict the bulk of the decisions will rest with more than one individuals (warped) perception.

I think to me, this is one the biggest pros going into Episode VII and beyond. There's no question George Lucas is a legend in the film industry and an amazing person. But for the first time since likely Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars won't be made by a man surrounded by "Yes Men" who don't have the gull to speak out against some of his bad ideas. Kathleen Kennedy is the right person to move this franchise forward - and she has made most of the right moves so far including hiring Abrams to direct.
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

I was a much bigger fan of Star Wars when I was in High School. I don't even feel like getting the Blu-ray set thanks to the new changes. I'll just hang on to my original trilogy DVD set. I've read some books that take place after Episode VI but I'm curious as what to the story holds for the new movie. I'm not in any shape or form a Star Trek fan but was really impressed with the Abrams reboot a couple of years ago.