Batman : The Dark Knight Rises

General discussion in the movie/TV industry goes on here.
Holy Grail

Yes folks, that the official title, so says director Christopher Nolan. He also rules out that the Riddler will be in the film. Source.

Gotta say while I love the title (fits perfectly with the arc of this revamped trilogy) I'm a bit bummed at no Riddler. Pre-Heath, the greater populace viewed the Joker as light hearted villain along side his contemporaries such as Magneto, Lex Luthor and even Green Goblin (ok so Movie-verse GG is still pretty lame but hey). That all changed with Ledgers' (and Nolan's) take on the Clown Prince of Crime. That being true, I would have LOVED to have seen him do the same thing with Riddler. But, I trust the man to take the trilogy to a brilliant close. I still remember totally dismissing the idea of Heath as the Joker when I first heard about it and now I can't imagine him any other way. Excited to see what the future holds...
Common sense - so rare, it's a god-damn super power.
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net
adamDMK

Good stuff. I'm also a little disappointed Riddler isn't going to be in the movie, especially with the early rumors that Nolan wanted Joseph Gordon-Levitt to play the role. I thought that would have been a match made in heaven. Oh well.

Tom Hardy (Eames from Inception) has been cast in an unspecified role. However, IMDB started the rumor that he's playing Det. Harvey Bullock. Hardy is an excellent actor (side note: I met him last February at a play in Chicago, good guy) and he's a perfect addition to Nolan's Batman universe. If IMDB is wrong, who else can you see Hardy playing?

And finally, several young (“Late 20′s, early 30′s” ;) ladies are meeting with Nolan this week about a role in the film. What role do you think they're auditioning for? Catwoman? Harley Quinn? Or another love interest for Brucey?

Source: http://www.moviehole.net/201032704-exclusive-hunt-for-batman-female-lead-begins

Regardless, I'm super excited for the 3rd (and most likely final) installment of Nolan's Batman franchise.
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

I'm surprised that the Riddler has been ruled out, some rumors were going around that Johnny Depp would play him. I'm curious to see which villain(s) will make the cut.

Ridder? Nope. Joker? No way. Two-Face? Dead. It's bit of a stretch but Rhaz Al Ghul was never confirmed dead by Nolan and part of his motif is that he just keeps coming back from death. Scarecrow is still viable too.

I just don't see other villains fitting into Nolan's world like Mr. Freeze, The Penguin, Clayface, and Harley Quinn as cool as she is just a side-kick and with no Joker there would be no point in having her in the film. What would Robin be without Batman?
ForestDemon
Master Kombatant

I'm really glad that there's more news on the third Batman film. I really look forward to The Dark Knight Rises, and I have a feeling that Nolan will likely choose lesser known villains. The smart thing that he does is that he tries to fit the characters in the story that he's trying to tell. So when it comes to villains, I take it he'll choose ones that best fit the story of the next movie.
Holy Grail

I'm almost thinking some of the lesser villains like Black Mask are a chance. I think Ra's character has served it's purpose BUT if you combine that with Adam's info, it's possible they are casting for a Tahlia character who, along with Catwoman, is the only other (major) love interest. I could see the Penguin happening - he'd be more the corrupt politician type that easily fits into the corrupt world of Gotham. No Harvey Dent to contend with either.
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net
adamDMK

Holy Grail wrote:I'm almost thinking some of the lesser villains like Black Mask are a chance. I think Ra's character has served it's purpose BUT if you combine that with Adam's info, it's possible they are casting for a Tahlia character who, along with Catwoman, is the only other (major) love interest. I could see the Penguin happening - he'd be more the corrupt politician type that easily fits into the corrupt world of Gotham. No Harvey Dent to contend with either.

I could totally see Nolan throwing us a curve ball and including Penguin. As you said Grail, he could easily fit the mold of a corrupt Gotham politician. Or even the head of the Gotham mafia since they're sort of lacking a boss as Joker and Dent killed/arrested all of the other mob bosses.

If I had to place a bet on the villains, I'd say Penguin as the new mob boss, Catwoman as Bruce's love interest and part-time vigilante (sort of like Burton's Batman Returns version), and Harvey Bullock as the lead detective who's trying to arrest Batman. Granted, Bullock won't be a full blown villain but he'll still be after Batman the whole movie.
ForestDemon
Master Kombatant

If I'm not mistaken, Nolan had ruled out the likes of Catwoman and Penguin. What about Owlman? He's pretty much the anti-Batman, and yes, I'm aware that his character is from another reality. Still, he could easily be adapted to these movies if you take away the alternate reality thing.
Holy Grail

Well with the casting of loads as women, has anyone considered Poison Ivy?

Here's an interesting article about the female character role : http://www.comicvine.com/news/off-my-mind-does-batman-3-need-a-female-lead/142412/
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net
Hell Ninja Scorpion
Skilled Kombatant

[color="DarkOrchid"]What a coincidence! A scant few hours ago I only just finished re-watching "The Dark Knight" (for Halloween "character research"; it's an actor thing)! So I am still fresh from the Batman universe, and this news could not have come at a better time.

As others have said, it is heartening to hear news of the movie's approach. Casting calls have been placed; a title has been decided upon. So, if I know Hollywood (and rather, from film casting and production processes), I will say we are two years away from seeing "The Dark Knight Rises". More than a year and a half, but less than two.

I'll respond to other posts here as they come, but suffice to say, we should all consider this very good news.[/color]

[SIZE="4"][color="Lime"]News good enough to[/color] [color="Red"]PUT A SMILE ON THAT FACE!!! HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!!![/color][/size]
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER][color="DarkOrchid"]Check out my New York City-based theater company! http://www.LeftHipProductions.com[/color][/CENTER]
adamDMK

Hell Ninja Scorpion wrote:So, if I know Hollywood (and rather, from film casting and production processes), I will say we are two years away from seeing "The Dark Knight Rises". More than a year and a half, but less than two.

You're right HNS, it's tentatively scheduled for a July 20, 2012 release date and filming should begin in April 2011.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=67804
BorixXx
Master Kombatant

KKW2 wrote:Ha, I feel like I'm the only person in the world who likes the fact that the Riddler won't be in the film. Whoever the villain is, Nolan will find someone to pull it off really well, and the movie will be awesome. I remember when everyone bitched when it was first announced that Heath Ledger will play the Joker.

I'm pretty pumped for this movie, even though I thought The Dark Knight was overrated. It was still a great film though. Can't say I like the title "The Dark Knight Rises" too much, but titles aren't really important IMO for sequels.

I agree about the title; it's not exactly too different from the second film LMFAO. I'm thinking this might be to throw fans off and change it closer to the release date.

Not that I was a fan of the Riddler to begin with... but I was only sad to hear he won't be the villain because the rumor was that Joseph Gordon Levitt would be playing the role, and I'm a huge fan. He's like the Heath Ledger we'll never have! Just as talented, and kinda LOOKS like the fucker too.
thunderbolt3022
Skilled Kombatant