Mortal Kombat: Rebirth

General discussion in the movie/TV industry goes on here.
RaZoRsEdGe
Skilled Kombatant

So im sure you have all seen the "trailer" to this Mortal Kombat video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs3ROFNxa5M

The short action video was directed by a guy named Kevin Tancharoen as a movie pitch to basically choose him as the director of the new movie ( If they decide to make one)

So what do you guys think? Do you like the realistic approach? Would you change anything? Let us know here.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[CENTER]"Those were $500 glasses ASSHOLE."
- Thanks Stimpy For The Awesome Sig!
[/CENTER]

[SIZE="5"][SIZE="4"][CENTER][SIZE="3"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n_qjoKOM3U[/size][/CENTER][/size][/size]
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

My first reaction was just "Wow". Yeah they changed it but it still felt like Mortal Kombat, the only thing that put me off was how Baraka looked. I'm glad they made it dark by not just pushing the PG-13 rating to its limit but going completely into rated R.
adamDMK

I'm not going to lie, this trailer is what got me interested in MK again. Considering E3 and the "unveiling" of the new MK game was only days after this video was released, at the very least this trailer got people talking about MK again.

But when it comes down to it, I LOVED this trailer.

Sure it deviates a little from the original source material, but its honestly better than anything Threshold has put out in 15 years.

The new trend in film is "gritty reboots/re-imaginings"... why can't we give MK a gritty reboot too?

Solid acting and kick-ass fight sequences are always a plus too! :) Plus Michal Jai White as Jax rocks!
Morder.7
Skilled Kombatant

Yes, I loved this video. When it was first mysteriously released I was sure it was for the game, but nope. It's for a possible movie. (I want the 3rd movie to be like this now, I will settle for no less!).
pimpchimp
Ultimate Warrior

The good thing about this is that it will really help bring in the casual audience, and introduce them to MK.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pimpchimp
Regular user of no importance
pimpchimp@fakeemail.net
BorixXx
Master Kombatant

I thought it was pretty dope. Rather hilarious seeing Michael Jai White playing the Jaxx that you expect him to; angry looking and constantly making that same face.

If they do make a real movie out of this one day, I sincerely hope it looks higher budget. While it was still awesome, it looked like the work of a film school graduate (not that it's necessarily a bad thing).
RaZoRsEdGe
Skilled Kombatant

BorixXx wrote:I thought it was pretty dope. Rather hilarious seeing Michael Jai White playing the Jaxx that you expect him to; angry looking and constantly making that same face.

If they do make a real movie out of this one day, I sincerely hope it looks higher budget. While it was still awesome, it looked like the work of a film school graduate (not that it's necessarily a bad thing).

Just keep in mind that it took roughly two days to film and a budget or $7500! I would say that is very impressive for what they created. Imagen what they could have accomplished with a budget of one million?

At the same time I do do really appreciate this short film but it does tend to stretch far from what a true Mortal Kombat fan would want ( with all the realms and what not)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[SIZE="5"][SIZE="4"][CENTER][SIZE="3"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n_qjoKOM3U[/size][/CENTER][/size][/size]
Lord Paragon
Skilled Kombatant

Well, if one is willing to let go the fact it doesnt derive straight from the games, and is an alternate universe, but has the same characters ect ect, then i believe, if this were to be made a movie, it would be something to be very excited about.

Its fresh, its new, it would bring aq lot more attention to the franchise, which it sorely needs after MK:A and MK vs DC. I think all the actors did very well, the trailer was excellent and I would efinatly pay to see this, and i dont say that much about movies nowerdays...
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Teal"]Dont make me say it.... :threaten:
FALCON ... PAAAUUUNCH![/color]
Mortal Kombat: Resurrection
[email="lordparagon@mortalkombatnexus.com"]lordparagon@mortalkombatnexus.com[/email][/CENTER]
ForestDemon
Master Kombatant

I have to say that it's an interesting take on Mortal Kombat. I don't think that characters such as Reptile and Dr. Baraka Makaka should be humans. While I like the more realistic approach, Mortal Kombat has never fully been about reality. It should have a balance of realistic and supernatural elements instead of going too close to either extreme.

I thought Sonya and Jax were done well, and I wouldn't mind seeing those actors play as them if a new Mortal Kombat movie were to be done. Scorpion's portrayal was interesting, and at least he has brains unlike his game counterpart.

I was surprised to see Johnny Cage get killed off. Him smoking a cigar before getting killed was kind of silly.

Overall, it's an interesting concept. If there are going to be any more Mortal Kombat movies, they need to be done in an ensemble format in terms of the storytelling instead of the team format like in the first two MK movies.
Holy Grail

To put it bluntly - THIS is what got me caring about MK again. When I saw this I started trolling forums for information and even signed up at Kamidogu (don't hate me! :p ).

Whilst I understand the reservations that "hardcore" fans would have, I think it's a brilliant take on the universe. When you look at it, it closely follows the Hollywood trend of 'making something beleivable' particularly when it comes to movies. Transformers, the Batman movies, (in fact just about every Superhero movie in the last 5 years) are all aimed at making the viewer truly accept that a man dressed up as a giant bat is perfectly plausible. 40-foot robots who've been living among us in disguise? Yeah, I'd buy that. *hands out large pinches of salt*

But IF they started doing the whole "fighters from other realms" business, I think audiences today would simply switch off. BUT, give a semi-realistic reason as to why a man has 12-inch blades in his arms or scaly skin, and people will buy into it. Based on the trailer (and some interviews with the director I've read) there would be some sort of fantasy elements included - I mean Scorpion IS actually dead. But overall, the buzz this created online was phenomenal and served for the perfect ramp for the game to use at E3.

And overall, probably aided in the re-opening of a certain forum... ;)
Common sense - so rare, it's a god-damn super power.
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net
ForestDemon
Master Kombatant

Holy Grail wrote:To put it bluntly - THIS is what got me caring about MK again. When I saw this I started trolling forums for information and even signed up at Kamidogu (don't hate me! :p ).

Whilst I understand the reservations that "hardcore" fans would have, I think it's a brilliant take on the universe. When you look at it, it closely follows the Hollywood trend of 'making something beleivable' particularly when it comes to movies. Transformers, the Batman movies, (in fact just about every Superhero movie in the last 5 years) are all aimed at making the viewer truly accept that a man dressed up as a giant bat is perfectly plausible. 40-foot robots who've been living among us in disguise? Yeah, I'd buy that. *hands out large pinches of salt*

But IF they started doing the whole "fighters from other realms" business, I think audiences today would simply switch off. BUT, give a semi-realistic reason as to why a man has 12-inch blades in his arms or scaly skin, and people will buy into it. Based on the trailer (and some interviews with the director I've read) there would be some sort of fantasy elements included - I mean Scorpion IS actually dead. But overall, the buzz this created online was phenomenal and served for the perfect ramp for the game to use at E3.

And overall, probably aided in the re-opening of a certain forum... ;)

I don't think that there would be a negativity towards the supernatural elements as long as they're done well. For Mortal Kombat, supernatural elements are a staple to the series. Having said that, for movies, reality should be a base while adding in supernatural elements.
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

Depending on how well Mortal Kombat sells, Rebirth might hit the silver screen. I'm sure once MK is in full swing the idea of a new movie will be pitched, hopefully this take will be kept in mind.
Li Mei
Practicing Fighter

I would hate to see Mortal Kombat turned into a science fiction or "realistic" fiction. And even if I didn't hate it, then I know I wouldn't enjoy it, because I know that what I like about Mortal Kombat is the realms, the special moves, the deities and other such non-mortal characters that stretch old concepts of morality and give us new things to wonder about.

I want a real Mortal Kombat movie, not another movie calling its self Mortal Kombat, and nothing that limits its self to trying to be "real."
Hell Ninja Scorpion
Skilled Kombatant

[color="DarkOrchid"]Li Mei-san, I agree with you regarding the supernatural nature of the MK universe and why it has drawn me in more than, say games like "Tekken" and "Street Fighter".

However, ForestDemon and Holy Grail bring up very good points regarding the "Hollywood mindset" and the potential appeal to a mass audience. "Gritty reboots" have been all the rage for the better part of a decade in the film industry, and many of them have been wildly successful -- just look at the Batman franchise, and the massive jump in quality between "Batman & Robin" and "Batman Begins". If the people behind the potential new MK movie can strike a balance with gritty reality and dark, otherworldly fantasy, then it can appeal to a mass audience and, hopefully, please the gamer as well. And judging by their take on Reptile and Baraka, it looks like that balance can be summarized as "SOME REALLY FUCKED UP SHIT!"

That all said, at least we know from the trailer that it's gonna be bloody as Hell. 'Cuz come on, that's what makes Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat.

And I dunno about you guys, but I went through the last part frame hitting the pause button just so I could catch a glimpse of Sub-Zero. From what it looks like, they're taking the strongest characters from MK and taking them in the Heath Ledger Joker direction, meaning from "Terribly imposing figure with martial arts mastery and special powers" to "OHMYGOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT GUY I'M GONNA HAVE NIGHTMARES". Which makes me wonder what how take on characters like Liu Kang, Shang Tsung and Raiden would turn out.[/color]
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER][color="DarkOrchid"]Check out my New York City-based theater company! http://www.LeftHipProductions.com[/color][/CENTER]
ForestDemon
Master Kombatant

Sub-Zero's look was very weird. It had more of a science fiction feel to it rather than a more realistic feel. The new Batman movies have been successful not just because of the dark, gritty, realistic attributes but also because of great storytelling, acting, etc.

For the movies, Mortal Kombat could easily be more in the fantasy realm like in the LOTR movies. However, I think grounding things in reality helps, especially if you're going to involve characters like Sonya, Jax, and Stryker. Since the Mortal Kombat series places a semblance of importance on its characters and storytelling, I feel it's best that the movies should be done as an ensemble story with multiple character studies.

I have this idea that Mortal Kombat should be a philosophy that is given individual interpretation. It would be great to see this implemented in the stories of the games and movies.

As for the blood and gore, I think that's something Mortal Kombat movies could do well in if they're done right and if the movies are R rated. We should see the brutality of monsters such as Baraka and Reptile. When you get to someone like Shao Kahn, they would really need to do him justice unlike in MK: Annihilation.

If you just make him this super-powerful bad guy that wants to take over the world, then you have nothing more than a clichéd villain who is no more menacing than your average Saturday morning cartoon bad guy. However, if you show Shao Kahn's menace by delving a bit into his psyche and showing his strategic cunning in addition to his brute strength and super powers, then he truly becomes an interesting and formidable villain.

One thing that makes the newer Batman movies, especially the Dark Knight, great is that they get into the mindset of the different characters.

Anyway, from what I understand, the director of this trailer was apparently going to add in the supernatural elements if this concept were turned into a real movie. If another Mortal Kombat movie is to be done, it can't be done in the same kind of formula used for the last two movies.
Lord Paragon
Skilled Kombatant

I can see Sub Zero's powers being explained bai cybernetics... shooting lballs or sprays of liquid nitrogen. Farfetched, but a plausable idea for a movie... if that is the case, then its ironic that he has his powers the way the Sub Zero from MK2 onwards fought against the Lin Kuei because they wanted to use cybernetics on him...

One character I'd be interested to see in this is Mileena. Kitanas twin sister who got in an accident, and decided to file her teeth...
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Teal"]Dont make me say it.... :threaten:
FALCON ... PAAAUUUNCH![/color]
Mortal Kombat: Resurrection
[email="lordparagon@mortalkombatnexus.com"]lordparagon@mortalkombatnexus.com[/email][/CENTER]
ForestDemon
Master Kombatant

Lord Paragon wrote:I can see Sub Zero's powers being explained bai cybernetics... shooting lballs or sprays of liquid nitrogen. Farfetched, but a plausable idea for a movie... if that is the case, then its ironic that he has his powers the way the Sub Zero from MK2 onwards fought against the Lin Kuei because they wanted to use cybernetics on him...

One character I'd be interested to see in this is Mileena. Kitanas twin sister who got in an accident, and decided to file her teeth...

From Sub-Zero's look in that trailer, perhaps the idea is to have him as a cyborg. Having him enhanced by cybernetics would be plausible for this type of story, but yeah, it would be ironic considering his MK3 story.

As for Mileena, he could perhaps be a normal woman who becomes of Baraka's victims. Maybe Mileena could be the more beautiful of the twins and quite vain until Baraka messes her face up, turning her into a deranged monster.
Hell Ninja Scorpion
Skilled Kombatant

ForestDemon wrote:Sub-Zero's look was very weird. It had more of a science fiction feel to it rather than a more realistic feel. The new Batman movies have been successful not just because of the dark, gritty, realistic attributes but also because of great storytelling, acting, etc.

For the movies, Mortal Kombat could easily be more in the fantasy realm like in the LOTR movies. However, I think grounding things in reality helps, especially if you're going to involve characters like Sonya, Jax, and Stryker. Since the Mortal Kombat series places a semblance of importance on its characters and storytelling, I feel it's best that the movies should be done as an ensemble story with multiple character studies.

I have this idea that Mortal Kombat should be a philosophy that is given individual interpretation. It would be great to see this implemented in the stories of the games and movies.

As for the blood and gore, I think that's something Mortal Kombat movies could do well in if they're done right and if the movies are R rated. We should see the brutality of monsters such as Baraka and Reptile. When you get to someone like Shao Kahn, they would really need to do him justice unlike in MK: Annihilation.

If you just make him this super-powerful bad guy that wants to take over the world, then you have nothing more than a clichéd villain who is no more menacing than your average Saturday morning cartoon bad guy. However, if you show Shao Kahn's menace by delving a bit into his psyche and showing his strategic cunning in addition to his brute strength and super powers, then he truly becomes an interesting and formidable villain.

One thing that makes the newer Batman movies, especially the Dark Knight, great is that they get into the mindset of the different characters.

Anyway, from what I understand, the director of this trailer was apparently going to add in the supernatural elements if this concept were turned into a real movie. If another Mortal Kombat movie is to be done, it can't be done in the same kind of formula used for the last two movies.

[color="DarkOrchid"]Trust me, dude, you don't have to tell me the importance of quality acting and storytelling in a movie -- it's my life, after all (or so I am planning)! What I meant by that analogy was that the new Batman franchise moved away from the comic book-based visual style, aesthetics and overall garish "cheesiness" (for lack of a better word) that many associate with the fantastical universes of comics, and into a true, flesh-and-blood reality, with powerful psychological studies and characters with greater nuance and lifelike qualities. Anyway, Batman was only one of the many franchise reboots I was referring to; they're apparently doing one with Spider-Man, they did one with the Hulk (and only after one movie, no less), they kinda-sorta did one with the latest Superman movie by pretending "Superman III & IV" never happened... Hell, Midway even tried to do a reboot with the original MK game, and I've seen the concept art to prove it!

My point was, when Hollywood sees something huge that used to make them money way-back-when, their go-to answer of late has been a series reboot, which have had varying degrees of success but depending on how the previous entries in the series turned out, is usually for the best. We can all agree ANYthing will be better than MK Annihilation. So as far as MK movies are concerned, there's no place left to go but upwards!

I'm not sure I see Shao Kahn having a role in this movie, frankly. He's always been about the domination of entire dimensions, and I'm not sure how that would equate to the reality-based picture that the Rebirth trailer paints. Perhaps he's a ruthless druglord, or military dictator, but even those still seem to make him seem, well, smaller, for lack of a better word. Besides, they already mentioned Shang Tsung in the trailer (correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a couple months since I've last seen it); I think he'll be the one they'll be trying to defeat during this movie.[/color]

[CENTER][color="DarkOrchid"]Check out my New York City-based theater company! http://www.LeftHipProductions.com[/color][/CENTER]
ForestDemon
Master Kombatant

Sorry HNS. I sorta went off on a bit of a tangent. :p

They're having that Garfield guy be Spider-Man. I mean, with the MK movies, they could easily make them worse than MK: Annihilation, not that I want to think about those horrid possibilities. Like I said before, the guy behind this trailer was apparently going to incorporate supernatural elements if the idea went through.

I don't like the sound of Shao Kahn being some "military dictator", even though he sort of already is that. It's just that when it's put that way, I think of someone like M. Bison, especially the way he was portrayed in that Street Fighter cartoon from the good ol' 90s.

With certain characters in MK, you can't really go the ultra-realistic route. Imagine that with someone like Shinnok or Quan Chi. They would come out so much smaller than what they're supposed to be.

When it comes to grounding out characters in a more realistic fashion, they should mainly do that with the more humanoid characters like the ones from Earthrealm, Edenia, Seido, and some from other realms.
Holy Grail

ForestDemon wrote:Sub-Zero's look was very weird.

From what I read about that pic, it's actually taken from a fan-made 3D model over at ZBrushCentral - http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=95019&page=7&pp=15&highlight=sub-zero

So either this guy is somehow involved with the project, or he got ripped off. :D

Perhaps if a full-blown production ever takes off they'd change it somewhat but in any case, the cyber-Sub-Zero doesn't look to be an idea straight from the producers of the short.
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net
ForestDemon
Master Kombatant

Yeah, I'm familiar with that tidbit. It's pretty strange, but I'm sure they would have had to have gotten that guy's permission. I'd rather not have Sub-Zero be a cyborg. If they're trying to go for a somewhat realistic take, why not have him with a power suit like the one Mr. Freeze had in Batman Beyond? That way, he could freeze stuff from his hands instead of a gun like in Batman: The Animated Series.

To jump onto another character, I'd wonder how someone like Raiden would be done. I feel that with characters like him, this is where you can't go for a very realistic take. He's supposed to be the God of Thunder and Lightning.
Holy Grail

ForestDemon wrote:Yeah, I'm familiar with that tidbit. It's pretty strange, but I'm sure they would have had to have gotten that guy's permission. I'd rather not have Sub-Zero be a cyborg. If they're trying to go for a somewhat realistic take, why not have him with a power suit like the one Mr. Freeze had in Batman Beyond? That way, he could freeze stuff from his hands instead of a gun like in Batman: The Animated Series.
Nice comparison! But either way there's still be some serious tech involved which, given the overall vibe of the universe, would probably be heavily fused with the character in gritty manner. But now we're just speculating...
ForestDemon wrote:To jump onto another character, I'd wonder how someone like Raiden would be done. I feel that with characters like him, this is where you can't go for a very realistic take. He's supposed to be the God of Thunder and Lightning.
Yeah I think the short was cleverly done is so far as it didn't try to tackle some of the REALLY supernatural characters head on. And given that there's clearly some sense of the other-worldly going on at the end, Raiden would be pretty much HAVE to be all fiction. I'd be super curious as to how they'd do his look - Big Trouble in Little China anyone? ;)
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net
Hell Ninja Scorpion
Skilled Kombatant

[color="DarkOrchid"]FD-san and Grail-sama's previous posts pretty much put forth my main concerns more succinctly than I could manage. I personally checked out that render that Grail-sama linked to, and though it looks "cool", it's not MK at all. But again, this movie more than likely isn't even in pre-production at this point. Or if it is, it's in super-secret stealth mode, as some movies must be done. However, if they are not going for a superhuman-powered Sub-Zero, as we're used to, a Mr. Freeze-style character would make most sense. But that would also scream "Mr. Freeze ripoff" to the community unfamiliar with the MK universe (which, unfortunately, is the vast majority of the population). No, if Sub-Zero is to be included in this potential film, he must either have a birth given ice-creating skill, or the writers better come up with a damn good reason for it to be possible, and believable, in the "real" world.

As for Raiden... Yeah. He's one of those utterly important MK characters who you cannot possibly detach from his supernatural origin. Shang Tsung is possible; Reptile, Baraka, and (seemingly...) Scorpion can all be separated from their otherworldy backstories. But Raiden is, and always will be, a god. Who wields thunder and lightning at his fingertips. How does one translate that into "reality"? Once again, if the writers can find a way that is acceptable for both MK fans and the general moviegoing populace, I'll go with it.[/color]

RaZoRsEdGe
Skilled Kombatant

You guys all are making very good arguments towards how these characters would be interpreted if this specific director got the 'nod' and i think this interview might help with the direction he is thinking about going

http://media.collider.com/collider_audio/Kevin_Tancharoen_Misc/Kevin_Tancharoen_Mortal_Kombat_interview_collider.mp3

He explains what he did in that short trailer and what he would do with a heavier budget.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

Big update.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106978-Warner-Commands-Mortal-Kombat-Rebirth-Director-to-Finish-It

I was hoping for a full feature film on the big screen, but this shows that the stinging pain in the eyes of producers from viewing Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is subsiding. That or they simply haven't seen that mess. Michael Jai White will return as Jax Briggs, but it is unknown at this point if all of the cast from the pitch will return.