Mortal Kombat: Legacy Season 2

Discussion of the MK motion picture films and television series.
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

While I was on vacation I totally missed this announcement. There will be a second season of Mortal Kombat Legacy. It looks like there were some casting changes. I'm bummed that Matt Mullins will not play Johnny Cage, he nailed the part in Rebirth and the first season of Legacy. Sub-Zero looks pretty different and Shang Tsung will be portrayed by fan favorite Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa. The budget for the second season seems to be bigger because the costumes look a lot nicer lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l3jrR5XMSU
reversemarin
Expert Warrior

Kung Lao's teleport was the highlight there for me, badass. Not diggin' the hat, but we'll see what tricks he'll pull off. Love that Kitana costume and Kenshi looks cool.

Can't say I like Ermac's face, reminds me of Quan Chi and Sub-Zero's costume is a bit :-\

Interesting.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
[CENTER][color="White"][SIZE="1"]My MK2011 character ranking (by number of wins) as of Feb 02, 2014[/size][/color][/CENTER]
adamDMK

Created a new thread for Season 2 discussion. I'm super pumped for Season 2 and my thoughts on the debut trailer can be seen here: http://www.davesmk.net/mortal-kombat-legacy-season-2/

I actually didn't care much for Matt Mullins as Johnny Cage. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a terrific martial artist and I even enjoyed the episode featuring him, but, for some reason I just couldn't buy him as Cage. He just seemed too "B- movie action star" to me. Regardless, Casper Van Dien is a terrific choice to replace Mullins seeing as Dien just acts and looks like a movie star. I mean it's Johnny flippin Rico! Maybe that's just the inner Starship Troopers nerd in me talking though.
Holy Grail

This shit looks totally AWESOME. Even people who didn't care for MK were impressed with Season 1 both in tone and content. Season 2 is gunna be siiiiiiick! :clap:
Common sense - so rare, it's a god-damn super power.
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

Mortal Kombat: Legacy II will premiere on September 26th. It's about damn time. :]
Holy Grail

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen! :clap:
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net
adamDMK

I'm super excited for this! Just the scope of it alone seems so much grander than season one. I've been really impressed with everything seen in the trailers so far.
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

Wow. All ten episodes of Mortal Kombat: Legacy II are released instead of each episode being released weekly as in the first season.
Holy Grail

REALLY? Wow - I know what I'm doing tonight! Be sure to post a news update about it.
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net
Holy Grail

Holy crap - just watched it all in one sitting and here is my initial impressions:

KUNG LAO IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE.

Jus saying....

But seriously, how good is it all? It address's the long-time rivalry with the two ninjas AND for the first time ever, makes Liu Kang an interesting character. For anyone who knows the series history, that is one HELL of an achievement! Bring on the future of this cause series cause Gawd DAWM I'm keen as! :dancing:

BRING IT!
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

I really enjoyed this new season of MK: Legacy, even more so than the first one. The second season is so much more grand in scale. The costumes were a lot better this time around except for Sub-Zero. Sub-Zero's costume in the first season wasn't anything spectacular but in this one it just looks odd. As radical as it was I prefer that robotic/cyborg look Sub-Zero had in Rebirth.

I enjoyed the new cast as well. Bringing in Cary-Hiroyuki Tawaga was simply genius. I couldn't buy Johnson Phan as Shang Tsung in the first season but Tawaga's presence was felt in every scene he was in. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't crack a smile when he gave a few nods to the first film.

I can't wait for season 3. We probably won't have to wait as long since it would probably come out before the feature film.
Holy Grail

frkonalsh2003 wrote: The costumes were a lot better this time around except for Sub-Zero. Sub-Zero's costume in the first season wasn't anything spectacular but in this one it just looks odd. As radical as it was I prefer that robotic/cyborg look Sub-Zero had in Rebirth.
Agreed.

His was the only look I pulled a face about. Unless it gets justified later on, I'm confused why a seemingly traditional ninja would dress like that. The cyber-look from Rebirth was actually a piece of fan-art so can understand why that wasn't used. But who knows - with the cybernetic characters still to make an appearance, something along those lines might happen.

Overall, loved Season 2. It felt more polished and you could really feel it building to something. Great fight scenes which, plot aside, is something a series like this should strive towards. There was just enough flashbacks to Season 1 without overdoing it. Plus it made me go back and that all again. :)
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net
SonyaLover
Skilled Kombatant

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with some things, but nothing too too serious. I loved how Liu Kang was portrayed as well. It made him more fleshed out as a character. I also agree that Van Diem did a great job as Johnny Cage. He kind of had that cocky/arrogant attitude, like Cage should have. A tiny negative thing I didn't like was that most of the fights, to me, seemed really short. I would have loved to see Scorpion and Sub-Zero fight more, or Mileena taking on Johnny Cage and Kitana at the same time and Johnny Cage and Stryker versus Liu Kang at the same time as well. I thought Kenshi vs. Ermac was awesome, though Ermac's appearance, not so much, lol. He looked very weird.

Tawaga as Shang Tsung again was just pure awesomeness! I think he's the only one that could ever pull off the character so good. Kung Lao was also portrayed great as well. I wasn't feeling the replacements for Raiden or Stryker though. Their portrayals were lacking, in my opinion. It just wasn't there for me. They were kind of dull.

Oh and of course, there was no Sonya!! :( :rant: :hissy: Lol just kidding. That didn't really disappoint me much, but it would be nice to see her return in Season 3, along with the other characters left out :)
ForestDemon
Master Kombatant

I had watched the second season twice, and I have to say that like the first season, the second season is a mixed bag. Generally, I'm of the view point that Kevin Tancharoen gets a number of things right. I like his overall mindset in his take on the series, a mindset that could partially translate to the games. However, the second season did feel a bit short and a bit rushed, and it also suffers from some plotholes. I'm mainly going to go character by character.

Liu Kang: I was never really a Liu Kang fan, but in more recent times, I have warmed up to the idea of trying to flesh out his established personality from the earlier games and first two MK comics from John Tobias. Having watched Avatar: The Last Airbender, I do think it would make sense to draw a lot of inspiration from Aang for Liu Kang's character. The big issue a lot of people have/had with Liu Kang is that he comes off as too "goody goody", but there is a way to make him interesting while keeping him a good guy. Having said that, it took me the second time watching the second season for me to warm up a bit to MK: Legacy's Liu Kang.

I don't hate the take on his character. In fact, I do have some respect for the interpretation as well as giving credit to Brian Tee's performance. I wish that he didn't have the hood on so much, especially since he has a lot of that Jin Kazama look. Another big problem for me was that there were too many flashback scenes fleshing out Liu Kang's backstory instead of using some of the time for other characters' backstories. Overall, I'm kinda mixed on Liu Kang.

Kung Lao: Like Liu Kang, I have mixed feelings on Kung Lao. It is nice to see Mark Dacascos as Kung Lao. He is an interesting choice for the role, but his acting in this series is a little bit wooden at times. I do like the dynamic of Kung Lao being the "older brother" figure as opposed to the "younger brother" figure like in MK: Shaolin Monks and MK9. I also like the more Shaolin type clothing for some of the scenes as well as his costume when he enters the tournament. I know some people will complain about his hat not having the blade, but I understand why this version of the character doesn't have it. I'm disappointed that the season ended on a cliffhanger with Liu Kang and Kung Lao facing off.

Shang Tsung: I'm really glad that Cary Tagawa reprised his role, and his performance was excellent as to be expected. The aspect of him being a human turned demi-god is an interesting angle. Personally, I like the idea of Shang Tsung originally be human and a good person before turning evil. He has a cool looking costume when he's on his island for the tournament. My big problem with Shang Tsung is simply that we didn't get to see enough of him nor did we get to see him fight or use any of his special moves.

Raiden: There's really not much to say here, because he has such a small presence in this season.

Kitana: I think Samantha Jo looks great and definitely has the martial arts talent for the role. Her costume is far superior to what we have in most of the games, especially MK9's costumes. However, I do feel that her acting needs improvement. I also didn't like the overemphasis on the backstory scenes that were shown in the first season. What would have been nice to see was a look into the past where we see Kitana as that cold, calculating, ruthless assassin for Shao Kahn. I feel like there's much more that can be done with her.

Mileena: In the first season, I really preferred that version of Mileena compared to what we have in the games, mainly compared to MK9's version, which I really hate. Season 2's Mileena is even better where we get some real dialogue from her as well as interaction with Kitana. Mileena is one of the characters I feel that Kevin Tancharoen really gets just right. She has a good look to her, fights well, and has the right kind of personality. I prefer Mileena having those facial scars, with her switching to her more Tarkatan appearance in moments of anger. It allows for viewers to see more of her expressions, and this is an aspect of the character that could easily be translated into the MK games themselves. Netherrealm Studios' story writers should really take note from this version of the character.

Kenshi: I like Dan Southworth's performance. Before being blinded, his personality was spot on where he came off as kinda laid back but also a bit arrogant. I like his look in the tournament, and the fighting was pretty good. I was disappointed that we didn't get some reveal of the old man being Shang Tsung in disguise. That would have added more to Kenshi's backstory and give a stronger connection to the tournament. I personally feel that Kenshi is a character that would have fit just perfectly in MK1's story.

The bad thing about Kenshi in this season is really the issue of him being a rōnin from 12th century (C.E.) Japan. How he traveled 800 years into the future without significantly aging is a mystery though some could perhaps argue that the power of Sentō may have kept his youth intact. Regardless, I really like this version of Kenshi, and I'd like to see Dan Southworth reprise the role in a future season or movie.

Ermac: Ermac was a disappointment for me. His look is really bad. I suppose Kevin Tancharoen was trying to go for a "demonic" look, which is fine. However, he just looks really terrible. I personally prefer the more mystic-looking Ermac from MK: Deception/Armageddon and MK9. It was difficult to hear his voice at first, and it did become a little bit clearer watching the season a second time. It's a good thing that Ermac did have dialogue and that he referred to himself in the first person plural. Overall, he was a mess.

Johnny Cage: I have mixed feelings on this version of Johnny Cage. I do think that Casper does more or less capture the spirit of the character with his ego, but I prefer Matt Mullins' version. Matt looks more of the right age for the character and definitely has more of the martial arts talent for the role. One thing that's missing from the character is not showing his nobility. Of course, that can be saved for a third season or a movie.

Stryker: There's not much to say on him. His costume looks good, but I wish he had shaved or at least had the cap on. It was kind of amusing to see him tase Liu Kang, but we didn't see too much of his fighting skill. The big problem with Stryker is mainly that we didn't see enough of him. We didn't get any flashback scenes that connected him to the events of the tournament. Some of the time used for Liu Kang's backstory scenes could have gone to Stryker's backstory.

Scorpion: Like Mileena, Scorpion in MK: Legacy is my favorite version of the character. I really appreciated showing the man behind the mask in season 1. Season 2 goes back to more backstory, which leads up to the events of the tournament. Like Kenshi, the problem with Scorpion lies within the time travel plothole since Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Kenshi are all from feudal Japan. I do however like Ian's performance, and I like how the costume was done. The issue with Scorpion's costume design is with the yellow color scheme. I like how it's sort of dulled with some ashy traces while the mask has more of a golden touch.

Also, I appreciate that while the series is true to the character with him wanting revenge, he doesn't go about it as some obnoxious, idiotic jackass like in the more recent games. The scene with him meditating and the part of the fight scene where he disappears and laments to Bi-Han really gives a nice touch to the character that is simply lacking in the games. These are very simple but effective touches that help his character, and I wish that MK's story writers would learn from this version. I don't exactly like the fact that he used Bi-Han's fatality on him. Sure, the Toasty fatality wouldn't make sense for this version of the character, but the Spine Rip is a very iconic fatality associated with Sub-Zero. Perhaps it would have been better if we got the slicing fatality from MK2. Overall, I really like this version of Scorpion.

Sub-Zero: I have mixed feelings regarding Sub-Zero. On one hand, I really like Eric Steinberg's performance. He has a good look to him, a good voice, and the personality is really interesting. I don't like the costume he wears during the tournament, but I do like the idea behind it. Unfortunately, the costume is also problematic since it has a more modernized look yet Bi-Han is from feudal Japan. That clearly doesn't make sense, even in the world of Mortal Kombat. The big problem I have is that Kuai Liang not only has a small role, his personality changed into that of this immature douche. I also hate that BOTH of the brothers got killed, so it begs the question as to who would take on the mantle of Sub-Zero later on in the story.

-----

Overall, season 2 of MK Legacy really was a mixed bag for me. There were a lot of missed opportunities as well as things not properly explained. I really hope that Kevin Tancharoen takes note of the flaws of the two seasons and refines his ideas to make the third season better (if he does one) or when making the movie.
reversemarin
Expert Warrior

^ Quite a review there. I pretty much agree with everything.

Kenshi and Kung Lao were the highlights for me, really loved both performances and character presentations, even though it was never explained what happened when Kenshi first ran into Ermac and as mentioned, the time-travel is confusing.

I liked Kitana and Mileena, although I wasn't thrilled with the intro to Kitana which was a bit fairy-tail like. Her costume was great, much better than her costumes in recent games.

As for other positives, I loved the music and liked that all episodes were released at once so you could watch it like a mini-movie.

As for Scorpion and Sub-Zero, my feelings are mixed. I liked their characters, but Subby's costume was hideous and Kuai Liang was treated poorly. Didn't like the fatality switch at all. You don't mess with iconic stuff like that.

As for Ermac, I liked the story behind him and the whole "we" thing, but the design was so disappointing, especially when he's got some badass designs in games. Didn't quite like the snakes either, that and his green face kinda gave him a Reptile-ish feel.

As for Liu Kang, I'm neutral. I didn't mind the character, but at the same time I feel it's too different from the Liu we all know.

Johnny used the f-word too much and I don't know what to think of him running away from Mileena like that... :-\

Raiden, Stryker and Shang Tsung. Well, there just wasn't enough of them.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
[CENTER][color="White"][SIZE="1"]My MK2011 character ranking (by number of wins) as of Feb 02, 2014[/size][/color][/CENTER]