Your First Time

If you're a newbie or never had the chance to reply to these classic DMK threads, do so here. The bumping rule doesn't apply but post counts don't increase here.
shadow_kick
Intermediate Warrior

There are first times for everything. The first time you rode a bike, the first time you went to the movies, the first time you fought 3 midgets at once with a pocket knife, the first time you set yourself on fire for party entertainment and so on. The first time you experienced Mortal Kombat, where was it? How was it? Dig into them memories and tell us all!**

And remember...there's a crazy mod around here with some kind of anti spam stick...so be careful what you type...
*watches a poor forum user collapse at his feet, a no spam stick lodged into his stomach*
*gasp*Dear lord...*gasp*
Tsk, tsk, tsk, such a waste... :(

**the main question of this topic was put into bold for those lazy readers out there...Show your gratitude for my kindness by mailing me a check for $50 or more...
reppy reps
Intermediate Warrior

Yeah, waste of a good "no spam" stick. Oh, noble stick, I shall miss you. *wipes a single tear from his eye*

My first experience with Mortal Kombat was in an arcade way back in 1991... or 92. I forget, but I saw the original MK1 machine standing there in all its glory as some guy was jamming on it. So of course I walked up, popped in a quarter and interrupted his fight, oh yeah! I chose Raiden, because I was big on the whole electricity that constantly swirled around him. The match started and in 15 seconds I was dead.
Realizing that I was way out of my league, I turned and walked off without saying a word, looking for another game to destroy. It turned out to be the Aliens arcade game. Kickass game! But that's another story.
"Screw Prime Time! I got a world to save!"
Adept Mercenary
Skilled Kombatant

The year, was a while ago. I was only in grade 1 and maybe that was too old. I was at a laundry matt. I saw this game where people were beating the **** out of each other, the highscore were in the billions, and I was begging my mom for quarters. Sadly, she said no, but a couple of 17 year old were playing the game. I walk up to the machine and watched blood pour out of those characters like lava out of a valcano. And that, was probably the 1st.

Then I remember the Mortal Kombat 2 commercial were like Baraka was running through the forest, and they showed clips from the MKII game, and then I think they had some catch phrase or something.

Ahhh...good times :) .
kaligoddess
Master Kombatant

My first experience was reading about all the uproar because of the blood. I kept reading about how this was making kids violent and all I could think of was "man, I HAVE to play this game". I actually didn't start playing any MK games for a few years afterward, because my mom didn't like all the gore.
Rain92

I just always remember playing mk since i was about 5 or 6.
Richard Walker
Master Kombatant

I remember the thrill of playing MK for the first time. My friend Peter(Nicknamed Peteza Bread), brought over MKII once in Easter 1999. We played it on my Sega Genesis. The first time I played it, I was enchanted. The first time I beat him with Mileena, a huge spark of elecricity rushed through my veins. And what luck- when he left my house, he forgot the game.

I was playing the game all night. For about two days, I didn't sleep, and at the times I wasn't eating or bathing, I was playing MKII. I couldn't finish the game!!! I was so pissed. After those two days, Peter came to visit again, mainly because he wanted to get his game back. I was heartbroken. Then I took a dangerous quest to get the game back.

I had to get Peter. He was in an area much further away from me(I'm not revealing where). It was simple- track down Peter, and get MKII for myself. I had £100 on me, though I had no change to take a bus. I had to go via my scooter(Not electric) and ride 2 miles.

I got there though, safely. Peter was at his house- with the MKII game. I wanted the game so badly, cut the long story short and I paid £75($83) for it. Yes, I was desparate. But it was well worth it.

That was not only the first time I played MKII, it was the first time I owned a MK game.
RICHARD WALKER
'I'm just as good as God made me sir.'
http://www.richard-walker.cjb.net/ <--- My main website and blog

-Kick off 2007 by checking out updates to Mortal Kombat Champions, The Y2J Road, Sonic 2 Headquarters, and RW Community!
O1Kage
Advanced Warrior

I remember renting MK1 for the SNES. My mom was very nervouse about me playing it, so she waited for my dad to sit down with her before i played. After getting the go ahead from them both...i turned it on. After all the advertising, i chose one fighter...the match started and i got my *** kicked. Then i noticed, there was no blood!!!! It made me mad, but it made my parents feel a whole lot better! :cool:
Vultyrex
Ultimate Warrior

Oh fun memories...

I don't remember what year but it could have been 1994 with I first saw an MK game. It was MK2. I was going to the store to buy some bread for my parents and then I walked over to some kid hooting and hollering. I watched them play it and then I saw my very first fatality. Reptile's Tongue came out and wrapped around rayden's head and he ate it. I was stunned because I've never seen anything like that before.

I walked out of the store without the bread and my knees were very weak because of that fatality. I got home when I realized I didn't pay for the bread. I went back to the store and paid for the bread but the kids were gone so i decided to sneak a quarter in the machine and then I played it. At first the computer kicked my *** the first round but until I learned the uppercut. So the next two rounds I just uppercutted the person. The next person wouldn't let me uppercut them and he pretty much kicked my ***. When it said 'Finish Him' I immediatly thought of the Reptile fatality. I was anticipating for something gruesome like that but the opponent did a better thing. He uppercutted me into the ceiling spikes. I was blown away. I heard an 'Ahem' behind me and it was my step-dad and he told me that the game was too violent and that I could play it on my time.

Everytime I went to that store I watched that game. I then saw my second fatality, Shang Tsung's Body explosion. I though that every character had a differant one. I was right two years later after I purchased my own copy.

What a beautiful memory.
Apocalypz
Champion Warrior

It had been my first encouter with an SNES. I walked into the room where I had gazed upon my big brother playing "Mortal Kombat". I saw him pick Sub-Zero, and I thought, damnit this guy is insane. I took the controller in my hands and pressed start. I picked Sub-Zero, and thats when it happened. It was an odd addiction after I had beaten it the first time, I couldn't stop playing. Since then I have been waiting for each MK game patiently, and have been playing every MK pretty frequently.

Ķĭńģ Ŏf Fĭšţş
Fox
Master Kombatant

It was a long long time ago. I was playing fighting games all day like Battle Arena Toshinden and OMF2197 and other games untill an old friend showed me a few pics of MK1. The same day I bought it :D and couldn't stop playing. Some time later I bought MK2 and all the others untill now. Now I don't even have MK DA. The last MK game I bought was 4.
Apocalypz
Champion Warrior

...battle arena toshiden wasn't in the same year as mk was it?

Ķĭńģ Ŏf Fĭšţş
Kris The Remix
Practicing Fighter

my first experience of mk was in 1995 when i was a 6 year old gangsta. i went into an arcade and saw raiden with thunder around him on the insert coins screen. i ran over to te machine and popped in my quarters i played as sub zero and some how after winning 2 rounds performed the fatality and since then ive been hooked.
Apocalypz
Champion Warrior

are you a subbie fan?

Ķĭńģ Ŏf Fĭšţş
Corinne
Beginning Fighter

I don't remember when I was a little girl, about Krises age *pff*Or maybe a little bit younger. I was at my uncle's house in Arizona and it was my birthday.I got "Mortal Kombat 3" for nintendo.My friends would get a beat down when I play against them, with Sindal,lol@that.....I remember my first fatality was with Jax.

"i was a 6 year old gangsta"....*PM's kris*...hmmmmm.......:confused: :rolleyes:
ninjachic
Beginning Fighter

*blushes* my first time......was actually with MK II, and i saw this badass pic of kitana, and it told a small bio beside it. That attracted me first of all, because it was an arcade game at a 7 eleven ^_^, and these guys that were maybe 16-18 were playing. all i could do was watch O_O. Then i actually got brave enough to play it, and of course i fell in love....which kinda led me to check out the first mk.....then on awaiting the next mk games.....and to me here presently buying a ps2 JUST FOR mkda.....yeah. i can't remember how old i was.......*doesn't wanna do the math*...
Corinne
Beginning Fighter

ninjachic wrote:*blushes* my first time......was actually with MK II, and i saw this badass pic of kitana, and it told a small bio beside it. That attracted me first of all, because it was an arcade game at a 7 eleven ^_^, and these guys that were maybe 16-18 were playing. all i could do was watch O_O. Then i actually got brave enough to play it, and of course i fell in love....which kinda led me to check out the first mk.....then on awaiting the next mk games.....and to me here presently buying a ps2 JUST FOR mkda.....yeah. i can't remember how old i was.......*doesn't wanna do the math*...

Yeah I know what you mean.When I went to the arcade to see the Tekken arcade game, I only watched cause I was too shy to play against anyone.But I got over it, cause I like a little challenge.When I did, I kicked everyone's ass with Paul,lol...
ninjachic
Beginning Fighter

i do the same thing with Jin :D
Corinne
Beginning Fighter

Jins tight.I wonder if they are going to make another one Tek.......I MEAN, another MK, that is...*ahem*:D :o

Anyways, MK and Tekken, love them both.You know I got a picture when I first got MK for my birthday. It's probably stashed somewhere in one of those card board boxes I've got.
Apocalypz
Champion Warrior

Jin is amazing I have never seen a better character design...except for Sub-Zero, nobody beats him.

Ķĭńģ Ŏf Fĭšţş
O1Kage
Advanced Warrior

Jin was tight...but horyang (however you spell that weird name) was a much better character! Scorpion and Sub-Zero were the best characters ever though! :D
God dosent send you to hell, he just honors your decison
We're doomed by destiny, fucked by fate.
ForestDemon
Master Kombatant

I don't remember when I first played an MK but I must say that Sub-Zero was one of the reasons why I like MK so much. Even though the concept of a character that has ice/freezing powers isn't that original in video games, the concept of him being a Lin Kuei warrior is since I haven't seen, played, or heard of any other video game series that has a Lin Kuei warrior in it other than the MK series.
Apocalypz
Champion Warrior

O1Kage wrote:Jin was tight...but horyang (however you spell that weird name) was a much better character! Scorpion and Sub-Zero were the best characters ever though! :D

Heh, I gotta give him ups for the kicking stuff.

Ķĭńģ Ŏf Fĭšţş
Endlessly

10 years ago(or so) ... I turned on my snes bought the game (which i heared was pretty 'freakin awesome' as I recall my mate's description of the game)
Hooked on it since then.. I don't own them all but I did play them all.. pc , arcade , ps2 u name it
Mordolus
Practicing Fighter

My first time was May 1994 on my bday, I got the 1st MK as a present, and have been hooked ever since. I was like hmm..wtf is this, popped it in, picked the cool pointy hat dude with all the lightning swirling around him, and played it almost nonstop. Raiden has been my favorite character since then too :p
Wyldephang
Practicing Fighter

I remember distinctively playing Mortal Kombat when I was around 7 years old in my house in Arizona on a Sega Genesis for the first(?) time. (The reason I bring up the '?' is because I might have seen MK in the arcades before, but it never jolted my interest as much as it did now.)

The main thing that attracted me about MK1 was the creepy music, for some reason it was rather haunting, and I remember blood shooting all over the place. Then I remember Sub-Zero's fatality, the head rip. I was intrigued at a young age about how Sub-Zero was able to manipulate ice, and he's been my favorite character since then. By the way, I also loved his costume.

But probably the biggest thing I remember about MK is Kano's fatality. His heart ripper. I can also remember the heart beating, and the victory music ringing, "Kano wins. Fatality." My parents hated that game, but acknowledged that I was in love with it, so they bought me the Gameboy version (still have it).