Kevin Tancharoen moves on from Mortal Kombat

Discussion of the MK motion picture films and television series.
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

Various web sites and Kevin's Twitter state has he has moved on from the upcoming reboot and possible third season of Mortal Kombat: Legacy. I think this is a pretty big blow to the franchise as half of the revival of Mortal Kombat that started in 2010 came from his ideas.
Holy Grail

Waa really? that sucks if it's true. He kinda started the whole revival of MK (in media other than the games) so yeah, big blow indeed.
Common sense - so rare, it's a god-damn super power.
FIGJAM
holygrail@davesmk.net
ForestDemon
Master Kombatant

I personally have mixed feelings on this. For one thing, I like Kevin Tancharoen's passion for the series, and he deserves a lot of credit for doing the Legacy series. However, I do feel that Tancharoen made a number of mistakes in the series, especially the second season, that show that his way of storytelling needs a lot of refinement. To do another movie series for Mortal Kombat, it's going to take a lot to make it really good. There are so many different characters in the series and so many different stories to tell. I think a good way to tell MK's story is through an animated series like Batman: The Animated Series to cover the different subplots.
frkonalsh2003
Master Kombatant

It turns out Kevin Tancharoen will return to Mortal Kombat and hopes to work on the third season of MK: Legacy. No word yet on his involvement in the feature film.
adamDMK

Per what I said when I posted the news article:

This is good news for fans of Legacy. I think there needs to be a Season 3 to tie up all of the loose ends Season 2 created and neatly wrap everything up. And since Legacy has been and always will be Tancharoen’s baby, he’s truthfully the only person that should helm Season 3. However, what does this mean for the Mortal Kombat reboot movie? Will this further delay production? I think at this point Legacy has to be treated as a separate entity and not a companion piece from what will become of the feature film. I would expect Legacy to be wrapped up in Season 3 and a whole new “canon” started with the film (and almost certainly a new production team). This seems to be going backwards from what the original idea was, but, its almost a necessity to get the feature film out of developmental hell.